What color roofing shingles should I get? This is a question that is asked by many homeowners when it becomes time to install a new roof. An average roof can be 40 percent of what people see in your home. So, picking a color can be a very important process and is not taken lightly. You want to find the right shingles to compliment your home and we created some tips for you to help in your deciding process.
- What is the climate and location of your home? It may not seem like something that would matter but if it’s a humid climate with lots of sun, you want to stay away from dark colors causing more heat in your home.
- Is the color and type of shingle too bold for your home? It is important to remember that even though you may like the bold color, your neighbors may not appreciate it. Whether its the HOA or a similar situation, it reflects directly into their home as well.
- Always mix patterns with care, especially if the color of the facing and the roofing shingles being considered already in contrast with each other. A good rule of thumb is to mix patterns ON your home the way you’d mix them IN your home. For example, in your home, you would combine a large print with a smaller print in a complementary color. For your roof, the same style of rule also applys.
- When choosing the design and color of shingles you want to make sure that it is not too busy against the type of home you have. For example, if you have a brick home you may not want multi-colored shingles causing your home to be an eyesore.
- Another thing to ask yourself is whether you want to enhance your home or hide it. Light-colored asphalt shingles can make your home appear larger and draw attention to any positive features. However, darker colors can hide imperfections and create focus.
- Just like with paint you would never just purchase until you try. Contact us today to go over samples of our shingles to help you decide on the roof for your home.